This combined residential and commercial building is located at 246 North 600 West (formerly known as 500 West).
It started life in 1876 as an adobe house. In 1904, a single story brick addition was built on to the front of the house and operated as a store for many years, while the back remained a private residence. Later, a 3 room apartment was added to the second floor of the store. In 1936, the owner was Esther C. Haslam, and her property also contained a barn and a chicken coop.
Sometime after 1964, the building entered a new life as the Leo Montoya boxing club. Mr. Montoya also owned a duplex located next door to the club. This boxing club exists today as a registered “Utah USA Boxing Club,” and still inhabits the same building, which is now over 108 years old.
Tax Appraisal Cards and Photographs, 08-36-305-005; 1-3275.