“For the young nurse with an urge to see the world, positions are opening up in foreign lands.”
~Salt Lake County School of Nursing Informational Booklet, 1948
Note: March is Women’s History Month, and this blog will be exhibiting various aspects of women’s history through the records of Salt Lake County government. Our first entry focuses on the County Nursing School.
Salt Lake County organized its School of Nursing in 1914, just two years after the second “County Infirmary Hospital” was dedicated. It was a fully accredited program and was affiliated with the University of Utah. The school was officially part of the County Hospital complex, which was formerly located at 2001 South State Street (where the current Salt Lake County Government Center now stands).
The School of Nursing graduating class of 1947 consisted of 31 students, with the presentation of the hospital pins by their Director, Luella Hyatt, R.N.
Just prior to this graduation in 1947, the Utah State Nurse’s Association issued a memo addressing employment conditions for nurses in Utah. They urged medical institutions in Utah to adopt specific standards designed to improve nurses’ careers. They hoped to entice the graduating class of 1947 to obtain jobs in Utah, rather than leave the state for potentially more lucrative positions.
The Salt Lake County Nursing School produced an informational booklet for prospective students in 1948 that outlined the program of study and requirements of every student:
Final thoughts on the rigorous qualifications that the County Nursing School required:
- Nursing School informational booklet, 1948. County Hospital, School of Nursing Material, series CH-309.
- Nursing School 1947 Commencement Program. Health, Welfare, and Charity Correspondence, series HE-334.
- Utah State Nurses’ Association memo. Health, Welfare, and Charity Correspondence.