As the Utah State Prison potentially faces a third move in its 160 year history, many have plans for the site. After the relocation of the Utah State Prison from its first location along 2100 South 1400 East in Salt Lake City to its current Bluffdale site, some of the original intent for that vacated site was much different than the Sugar House Park that now exists:
The Utah State Prison in Sugar House was closed in February 1951 after a new prison was completed in Bluffdale at Point of the Mountain at the south end of Salt Lake Valley. The original prison in Sugar House was completed in 1857 as the territorial prison. After its closure in 1951, the prison property, consisting of 180 acres, remained in state ownership and various proposals were considered by the state legislature during its 1951 session. Ownership of the site passed to Salt Lake City for use as a public park. The original intent was to allow the Sons of Utah Pioneers move its museum collection to the property and establish a pioneer village. About 118 acres would be devoted to the pioneer village, with another 30 acres being used for a new Salt Lake City high school. The remainder, about 30 acres, would be used by the state highway department for a new super highway. (Deseret News, January 9, 1951; March 15, 1951; April 21, 1954). Source: Utahrails.net
Take a look back at this 1956 map that shows some of the original plans for the former prison site/current Sugar House Park:
For more information about the history of the Utah State Prison, check out:
Preliminary study for land use of prison site property for the development of a city park, 1956. RM 020. Salt Lake County Archives.