Arctic Circle ice cream stand, 135 East 900 South. Image taken in 1950. Salt Lake County Tax Appraisal Photographs, serial 1-92.
This Arctic Circle was built in 1950 at 135 East 900 South in Salt Lake City. It started out as a 420 square foot building, and on an early tax appraisal card was taxed for its plate glass windows, air conditioning, and neon tubing signs. According to the Arctic Circle restaurant’s website, this was the first of founder Don Carlos Edwards’ restaurants that he called the Arctic Circle. There are now Arctic Circles across 7 western states.
By 1953, the building had almost tripled in size and had neon tubing, 4 neon signs, and menu signs with lights.
Plot plan in 1950.
Plot plan in 1953.
Coolest of all, the restaurant had a “car hop control room” on the roof. It can be seen on the left in this photograph taken in 1953.
Arctic Circle in 1953. Salt Lake County Tax Appraisal Photographs, serial 1-92. “Don Carlos Bar-Be-Q” refers to Arctic Circle’s founder, Don Carlos Edwards.
In 1959, another addition was built on to the existing structure. This Arctic Circle restaurant was still flipping burgers and making fry sauce at this location up until at least 2016 (if anyone knows exactly when it closed, please let us know!).
Arctic Circle does claim to be the inventor of the famed fry sauce and also the creator of kids meals.
Salt Lake County Tax Appraisal Cards and Photographs. Serial 1-92. Salt Lake County Archives.
Arctic Circle History: acburger.com/company/history.html. Accessed 08-08-2018.