Category Archives: Lost Houses

Lost House: Empey Cottage

Many of you may already be familiar with this truly “lost house.”  Formerly located at 180 East South Temple in Salt Lake City, this house was supposedly designed by Truman O. Angell, the architect of the LDS Church’s Salt Lake … Continue reading

Posted in Lost Houses, Salt Lake history | Tagged , , , | 1 Comment

Summer, Wrapped Up

This cabin, located up Big Cottonwood Canyon, was built circa 1903. This image shows the building in 1938, with the shutters closed and bolted against the upcoming winter season. (Note the Salt Lake County assessor using the front porch to fill … Continue reading

Posted in Lost Houses, Salt Lake history | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

Follow Up: The Spry House

Thanks to a comment on our last post regarding the attempted bombing of the house of Governor William Spry in 1916, we were able to track down some images of the house from the Tax Appraisal Cards and Photographs collection. … Continue reading

Posted in Lost Houses, Salt Lake history, Uncategorized, Utah history | Tagged , | 1 Comment

Kudos, Ghosts!

Our “Ghosts of West Temple” online story map exhibit has received national recognition!  The exhibit was submitted to ESRI (Environmental Systems Research Institute), an international supplier of GIS software, as an example of one of the many uses of a … Continue reading

Posted in Lost Houses, Salt Lake history, Utah Archives Month | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment

Evolution of a Lost House

The house that used to occupy 35 South 500 East was built circa 1876, with a rear addition added in 1896 and a remodel completed in 1938.  The Tax Appraisal Card below shows many of the features of the house, … Continue reading

Posted in Lost Houses, Salt Lake history | Tagged | 2 Comments

Ghosts of West Temple

On the spot where thousands of people explore their family history, another story waits to be told…. West Temple street now contains the Family History Library, the LDS Church History Museum, and several parking lots, but it was once home … Continue reading

Posted in Lost Houses, Salt Lake history, Utah Archives Month, Utah history | Tagged , , , | 3 Comments

The Circus (was) Coming

A Cole Bros. Circus advertisement was pasted on to this building sometime between 1935 and October 1936. Clyde Beatty, famous wild animal trainer, joined the circus in 1935 and his name is featured on the poster.  The Salt Lake County tax assessor visited … Continue reading

Posted in Lost Houses, Salt Lake history | Tagged , , | 1 Comment